Prayas Barman becomes Indian T20 League's youngest debutant

Bengal's Prayas Ray Barman has become the youngest debutant in Indian T20 League history when he was named in Bangalore‘s playing XI to take on hosts Hyderabad.

The previous youngest player to have debuted in the League was Afghanistan leg-spinner Mujeeb-ur-Rehman, who was 17 years and 11 days when he played his first match.

Prayas is a leg-spinner who plays his domestic cricket for Bengal. Often compared to spin bowling legend Anil Kumble for his height and tendency to bowl quick, he made his first-class and List A debut in 2018 and went on to make his T20 debut earlier this year in February in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.

In his maiden Vijay Hazare Trophy season, he was the leading wicket-taker from his side and in nine List A matches so far, he has 11 wickets at 23.00. However, he failed to make the cut in Bengal’s Ranji side but picked four wickets in as many T20s in Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournament.

At the IPL auction in December, he was bought by Virat Kohli’s Bangalore for Rs 1.5 crore - 7.5 times over his base price.

For someone who once harboured dream of clicking a photo with his role model Kohli, Prayas is now all set to take the field alongside the India captain.

"Like any other youngster in India, Virat is our role model. I always had a dream to click a photo with Kohli. I've tried a lot but did not get any opportunity. Now that I would be sharing the dressing room with my hero is just unbelievable," Prayas was quoted as saying by PTI after the auction in December.

He added, "Sharing the dressing room, practising, interacting with the likes of Kohli, AB de Villiers on a day to day basis. It will be a big learning curve for me. I was not that tall. It was only a couple of years ago, I’ve grown taller as many people here started telling me that I bowl 'Kumblesque'."

from Sify.com

Comments